The VITA program offers tax help to low- and moderate-income people with a focus on those 60 or older, completely free of charge. Through this program, IRS-certified volunteers provide free, basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in New Hanover County. VITA volunteers are able to inform about special tax credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
The VITA program will be available for the 2017 tax season from February 1 through April 18, 2017.
There are three places in New Hanover County that you can go to meet with a VITA volunteer.
The Carolina Beach location is at the Town of Carolina Beach building (300 Cape Fear Blvd.). The hours of operation are Mon.-Thurs., 12 pm - 4 pm and Sat., 8 am - 12 pm.
New Hanover County Senior Resource Center (2222 S. College Road)
Hours: Mon., Wed. & Fri., 8:30 am - 4 pm; Tues. & Thurs., 10:30 am - 6 pm
New Hanover County Main Library (201 Chestnut Street)
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
What to bring with you:
- Picture ID, address and local phone number.
- Wage statements (W-2's and 1099's) from all employers
- Retirement, Social Security, and/or Railroad Retirement
- Interest, Dividend, and Brokerage statements
- Social Security card and Date of Birth for self, spouse and all dependents
- The $$$ amount of home mortgage interest and real estate property taxes you paid in 2015. (Applies to itemized returns)
- Charitable contributions
- The previous year's tax return
- Any other tax document related to the previous year
- Checking account information, routing number and account number
- Affordable Care Act document (1095-B or 1095-C if you received these documents). You will need your form 1095-A that you received if you purchased health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace (HealthCare.gov).
What VITA volunteers CANNOT do:
- Past year returns or amended returns until March 1
- Rental income
- Clergy returns
- Casualty or theft losses
- Returns for any state other than North Carolina
What VITA volunteers CAN do:
- Self-employment, with the following restrictions:
- Sole proprietor, no employees, no inventory, and standard mileage rate only, no home office deduction.
- Schedule C-EZ with expenses up to $5,000, and cannot show a loss.
- Schedule C with expenses up to $10,000 and cannot show a loss.
- SIMPLE K-1's as follows:
- K-1 shows only interest, dividends and qualified dividends, capital gains, and royalties.
If you have any questions about the VITA program, or aren't sure you are eligible to work with a VITA volunteer, please call Valerie at (910) 798-6406. Please do not call with specific tax questions.